Takes: 30 minutes + 1 day
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- Herbs What You Like
recommended: savory, thyme, dill, oregano
- a little cream or milk
Cream cheese mixture:
- Let cream cheese warm up some in a bowl
- Add spices and mix, adding a little cream or milk to thin it out to a spreadable paste. The goal of this mixture is to be the glue holding the cucumbers and bread together.
- If not using immediately, cover tightly (press air out) with plastic wrap and store in fridge.
- Do this at least 2 hours in advance (the night before is also fine).
- Peel and slice the cucumber thinly.
- Lay the slices in a single layer on paper towels (stacking layers of towel + cuke is ok).
- Let sit in the fridge until it’s time to compile the sandwiches.
Assembly of sandwiches:
Recommend: use full slices of bread and trim to shape after compiling.
- If refrigerated, let cream cheese mixture warm up enough to spread.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture on a slice of bread, then put down a layer of cucumber slices. Cut slices in half if needed to fill a corner.
- Spread a second thin layer of cream cheese mixture, then another layer of cucumber slices.
- Spread a third thin layer of cream cheese mixture, then put the second slice of bread on.
- Repeat 2-4 until you have enough.
- Cut sandwiches into quarters or saltirewise to be adorable tea sandwiches.
This is a recipe I made up, basically from “cucumber sandwiches are a thing, how would that work?”